Saturday, February 20, 2010

Paying for Facebook?

As we all know, there have been rumors floating around Facebook that they will start charging the Facebook community for its use. Since Facebook is pretty much the best social network ever, a lot of people are trying to buy Facebook from Mark Zuckerberg (founder and chief) who will make us pay for Facebook. A spokesman for the company said: “We have no plans to charge users for Facebook’s basic services. Facebook is a free service for its 350 million users.” Even though Facebook denies these claims can they be trusted?

You might be wondering why Facebook might sell out well in November 2007, Facebook took a $240 million stake from Microsoft. Which gave Facebook a investment at a $15 billion valuation. Now it's been diminished to $4 billion and is probably slowly dropping from that.

COO Sheryl Sandberg in April said, "We are not planning on charging a basic fee for our basic services"). But Facebook may have plans to charge for services, such as offering to print the millions of pics that are uploaded on the site. Facebook could also charge a fee, $1 per month to let users avoid ads.

There has been numerous groups made on Facebook about banning together and showing the Facebook staff that we are totally against paying for it and we will not pay for it if they decide pull this nasty little trick on us in July of this year. Such as the group, “We will not pay to use Facebook – we are gone if this happens”, has a little over 240,000 and is trying to reach 300,000 members. I have recently joined this group and I would advise you to do the same if you do not want to be taken advantage of.

“Let’s all stick together on this one and let them know that we will leave Facebook if they decide to charge us to use it," says the group's creator Liam Thompson.

8 comments:

  1. I personally dont care enough about facebook to pay for it. So if they decide to make everyone pay for it I would be more than happy to delete mine completely. I have been looking for a reason to do it anyways so it would be the perfect reason. Good article, very interesting since it applies to so many people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good interasting topic to chose, because I had no idea this was going on. In my case, I have facebook, but I'm not on it so much to care to pay for it. Some people may be angry that they have to pay for something they're addicted to. For me, I wouldn't care either way, because I personally think that it's a good idea to pay for it, because then it just makes people more aware as to what they are addicted to. For me, I persnally don't need facebook, but I have it so I can keep in touch with my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is something that is bringing attention to students. We all know that students communicate and keep updated with others with it. Also, many students use facebook during class, so I am sure that many teachers wouldn't mind if a charge went out so less students would use it. I personally use facebook quite often, but if it came down to paying for it, I have many other means of communication I can use to talk with my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an interesting topic to choose Stu. In my case, I have face book, but I'm not on it so much to care to pay for it. The price would be an issue for some people I believe so the owners of face book would lose a lot of members that’s for sure. Some people may be angry that they have to pay for something they're addicted to. I personally don’t care enough about face book to pay for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A large appeal of Facebook is that it's a free (and fairly simple) way in which to keep in touch with others. Even though several people use this website on a regular bases, I would guess that charging a fee for its usage would result in Facebook losing many members. Mark Zuckerberg needs to determine if he's willing to risk that lose, especially since some other social network will likely come into the picture if people abandon Facebook due to charges.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting. Along with what everyone said, I don't think that many people, including myself, would care enough to pay for it. So in return, Mark Zuckerberg and his co-people would just be losing money and/or not gaining any that they're hoping for. I remember when I was big into MSN Messenger, I used to get emails about how eventually I would be charged to use it. Pretty sure that never happened. I think it's all just a rumor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found this topic interesting because i am pretty sure that majority of students in college and in high school have a facebook. I think that charging people to use facebook is pretty ridiculous and i would not use facebook if i had to pay for it. Facebook is not that important to pay monthly although some people may use facebook as a way to keep in touch with family. This is one of the easiest ways to keep in touch but people shouldnt have to pay to keep in touch with their families and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. After reading this I had to ask myself if I would pay to use Facebook. A part of me says that it would not be worth investing money into a source of procrastination, but at the same time I start to think about all of the people that I would lose contact with. I have several friends on Facebook that I have not seen in years, but it is nice to talk to them every now and then just to see how they are doing. I am a leader of many organizations and committees, so by having groups on Facebook it is nice to have a place where we can all colaborate and keep people posted through the free service. I can see there being a decline in users if they do charge a fee, but Facebook will not disappear.

    ReplyDelete